Adult Education and Literacy
Check out the WOW Index to look at how the Internet can be used to reach more learners.
State Director Meetings
Each year the Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education's Division of Adult Education and Literacy sponsors the following training opportunities and workshops targeted specifically to state directors of adult education and other key state staff:
- Annual Meeting of State Directors of Adult Education - The three-day conference hosts state directors from across the nation each year.
- NRS Training (Summer) - The National Reporting System for Adult Education (NRS) is an outcome-based reporting system for the State-administered, federally funded adult education program. The NRS project provides technical assistance and support to states through face-to-face training, national meetings, webinars, and online training courses. The NRS web site also contains an archive of NRS training events.
- New State Directors Management Workshop (Fall) - This 2-day workshop is geared towards newly appointed state directors of adult education and other appropriate state staff. The workshop strives to: (1) Enhance new State directors' knowledge of program requirements and other key components and the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) and applicable formula grants administration requirements from the Education Department regulations and Uniform Guidance, (2) Provide new State directors with the resources and tools needed to effectively manage day-to-day State-level adult education operations consistent with federal law and relevant regulations, and (3) Facilitate development of mentoring relationships among experienced and new State directors and foster networking relationships among new directors who share similar experiences.
National Activities/Technical Assistance Initiatives
This curated playlist provides support to the following technical assistance modules, including:
- Performance Accountability
- One-Stop Partner Roles and Responsibilities
- Competitions and Making Awards under subpart C of 34 CFR Part 463
- AEFLA Activities - Integrated Education and Training (IET)
- AEFLA Activities—Basic Grant Services for English Language Learners
- AEFLA Activities - Workforce Preparation
- Section 243 Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education program
Who's Online Where (WOW) Index. The Extending the Reach of Adult Education Using the Who’s Online Where (WOW) Index, better known as the “WOW Index”, consists of several components in two downloadable files:
- a short report on the state of connectedness among the adult ed target audience PDF (1.5M)
- available data sets that can help determine connectivity
- vignettes of digital strategies in various locations
- a fully developed Index of Ohio including the datasets by county and accompanying maps
- an Excel workbook with instructions and embedded formulas for creating an Index MS Excel (61K)
Performance Based Funding report, a final report of a National Leadership activity that provided targeted technical assistance to state policy makers and adult education administrators in efforts to design and implement performance based funding.