- WIOA Second Anniversary
- WIOA Information and Resources
- WIOA Notices of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRMs)
Effective July 22, 2014, the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) replaced the Workforce Investment Act of 1998. WIOA represents a renewed commitment to workforce development with an eye to the future through innovation and support for individual and national economic growth. WIOA is aimed at increasing opportunities, particularly for those facing barriers to employment, and invests in the important connection between education and career preparation. The law looks to the prosperity of workers and employers and focuses on the economic growth of communities, regions, and States to enhance our global competitiveness as a country.
To obtain a printed copy of WIOA (Public Law 113-128), e-mail: email@example.com, call: (202) 226-5210, or write to:
B-106 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-6612
WIOA — Second Anniversary
- On July 19, 2016, leaders from Federal agencies convened to celebrate the second anniversary of WIOA and answered some initial questions on the joint final rule. The webinar was titled “WIOA at Year Two: Continuing the Conversation”- a video recording, a transcript, and a supporting PowerPoint are available.
- On July 11, 2016, OSERS published a blog sharing Janet Terry’s success story. Ms. Terry received vocational rehabilitation services and other workforce development services as a result of connecting with an American Job Center in Pittsburgh, PA.
- On July 5, 2016, OSERS and RSA held a teleconference with its stakeholders to announce that the WIOA final rules became publicly available. The July 5, 2016 teleconference transcript (PDF, 243KB) also includes information regarding the program-specific final rules related to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended by title IV of WIOA.
(July 22, 2016)
WIOA Information and Resources
- On March 1, 2016, OSERS, RSA, and OCTAE hosted a webinar titled “Education: A Key Service in WIOA.” To view the webinar and other materials, please visit the OSERS blog.
- From January 26-28, 2016, OSERS and RSA participated in the National Convening of Workforce Leadership: A conference on Innovation and Opportunity. (PDF 502KB)
- On November 10, 2014, RSA presented on changes made to the Rehabilitation Act as a result of WIOA at CSAVR’s Fall Conference (PDF 578KB).
- On July 30, 2014, OSERS, RSA, and OCTAE issued a Dear Colleague Letter on the implementation of the January 30, 2014 Presidential Memorandum to carry out a government-wide review of federal job training and education programs to ensure that federal workforce and training system resources are effectively aligned. PDF (144KB)
- On July 25, 2014, former RSA Commissioner Janet LaBreck published a Dear Colleague Letter about WIOA.
- On July 24, 2014, RSA published a document that highlights significant changes related to the amendments to the Rehabilitation Act, as contained in title IV of WIOA effective July 22, 2014.
- On July 22, 2014, former U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan issued a statement on the on the signing of WIOA.
WIOA Notices of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRMs)
On April 16, 2015, the Departments of Labor and Education announced five new proposed rules to implement WIOA.
- Unified and Combined State Plans, Performance Accountability, and the One-Stop System Joint Provision (Jointly proposed by the U.S. Departments of Labor and Education)
Read the comments on docket ETA-2015-0002.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (Proposed by the U.S. Department of Labor)
Read the comments on docket ETA-2015-0001.
- State Vocational Rehabilitation Services program: State Supported Employment Services program; Limitations on Use of Subminimum Wage (Proposed by the U.S. Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration)
Read the comments on docket ED-2015-OSERS-0001.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act: Miscellaneous Program Changes (Proposed by the U.S. Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration)
Read the comments on docket ED-2015-OSERS-0002.
- Programs and Activities Authorized by the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (Title II of WIOA) (Proposed by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education)
Read the comments on docket ED-2015-OCTAE-0003.